Tenant Handbook

The Tenant Handbook is under construction.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are pets allowed?

A: Units owned and operated by M’akola do not allow pets, with the exception of small fish in a single tank of less than one gallon. M’akola manages some BC Housing Units that allow one pet under certain circumstances. You must fill out a BC Housing Application to apply for these units.

Q: How long can I have guests stay?

A: Individual guests may stay with you up to 14 days in any calendar year.  Permission may be granted for longer stays under certain circumstances. Failure to apply and obtain the necessary approval from the Landlord for stays exceeding 14 days is considered a breach of the Tenancy Agreement and may result in additional charges or termination.

Q: What will happen if I do not claim extra people living with me?

A: Additional occupants may not reside in  without permission from M’akola. Having additional occupants in a MRGI unit will result in a reassessment in the household income and a revised rent calculation.

Undeclared additional occupants may result in loss of subsidy or termination of tenancy. If you lose your subsidy based on false information you will expected to pay full market rent for the unit.

Q: How can I pay for my rent?

A: By dropping off payment to your regional office via cheque, money order  or debit in person or in the mail slot. Rent is due on the 1st of each month and may be paid before that date..

Q: How does my rent get calculated?

A: Generally speaking M’akola operates two types of rental units: Fixed rent units (M’akola Affordable Rent or MAR) and M’akola Rent Geared to Income units (MRGI). Rental amounts for MAR are set by M’akola and do not change based on income. Rental amounts for MRGI units are generally 30 per cent of your adjusted income, which is reviewed on an annual basis.

For more information click here. (HYPERLINK)

Q: When does my rent get reviewed?

A: Rent for MRGI units is reviewed on an annual basis. At the time of review proof of income and assets will be required for all occupants.

Failure to provide this information in a form acceptable to M’akola will result in the tenant having to pay the market rent for the unit as defined on the rent subsidy calculation form.

Q. When do I need to give notice to move out?

A: Written notice must be given at least one month before the date you intend to vacate the property. Tenancy will end at 1 p.m. on the day you are moving.

Contact Us

Send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt